Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Beach Glass

Beach glass, sea glass, fairy tears.  If any of these words make your heart race or raise your blood pressure then you will identify with my obsession for frosted, smooth glass that washes up on ocean shores or beaches bordering the great lakes.  Clear, white, aqua, lavender, navy blue, pink, yellow, green, brown, red and variations of those shades are sought by my eyes as they sweep the sand and pebbles for the prize - a perfectly tumbled piece of old glass that has washed ashore.

Some colors are rarer than others and the colors seem to vary depending upon where I am looking and how close the shipping lanes are to the area.  It is even possible to find beach glass along the Mississippi River!  The colors are more limited but being able to find any at all calms my desire to travel to one of the coasts and spend hours strolling the beach.

To me, the perfect example of beach glass is totally smoothed and completely frosted by its many years of tumbling in the water and sand. It should also be rounded, not flat. A hard-to-find color is an added perk - red, yellow, orange, blue - but I would still be happy with nearly any color
 .

Once you have collected jars of these "gems", what do you do with them?  Well, sometimes I just admire them.  But they make lovely jewelry and mosaics.  There are many internet sites that showcase items and ideas using "sea glass".  Etsy is a good place to start.  So what have I done with my collection?  NOTHING!  Though I do have hopes - perhaps I will have started (or even finished) a few projects by the time you visit The Sterling, but don't hold me to it!

No comments:

Post a Comment