Monday, February 25, 2013

Afternoon Tea


Afternoon Tea. Are these two of your most favorite words in the English language as they are mine? When I think "afternoon tea", I am not imagining a tea cup filled with hot water sporting a soggy teabag. No, l am picturing a beautifully set table with crisply ironed table linens, hotel silver flatware placed next to vintage Limoges plates edged in gold, delicate china cups and saucers, and, the epitome of tea time, a three-tiered serving piece loaded with mouthwatering tidbits and flanked by a tea-cozy-covered teapot. I know of which I speak. For more than 25 years I have searched out tea rooms to experience. I have also held many afternoon teas at my past residences including the wildly popular Chocolate Lovers' Tea at our former bed and breakfast, The Oakhurst Inn.

Whenever I travel, I scout the area for tea rooms or hotels which offer this "step back in time" event. I have a son who lives in Los Angeles and he always indulges my goal of attending as many afternoon teas at as many different venues as we can pack in during each trip. Some of my favorites have closed over the years, or changed so dramatically that they have fallen off of my "favorites" list. While that can be disconcerting, it also forces me to look in wider circles and to investigate tea service at hotels. This has lead me to, hands down, the best, most wonderful afternoon tea ever - at the Peninsula in Beverly Hills, California. This is not an inexpensive tea, as you might guess. I came to try this hotel tea through a serendipitous encounter on my flight to California in 2010. I had already mapped out the various tea rooms/hotels I was planning to visit and, while the Peninsula was on my list, I had decided it was too expensive. A fellow passenger sitting next to me asked what my plans were for this visit. I told him and also expressed my disappointment that the Peninsula was too expensive to be on my final tea list. The woman sitting directly behind me on the plane heard the conversation, leaned forward to put her hand on my arm, and said, "You must go! It is worth every penny." I am forever grateful for her advice. My son and I went there for tea then and have gone on every trip I have made to LA since.


What makes tea at The Peninsula so very special? You sit in their "living room" for tea. It is a huge room off the entrance foyer, filled with lovely, traditionally styled but comfortable overstuffed chairs and long sofas with coffee tables lavishly set for tea. Pale green damask place mats and napkins are enhanced with matching plates, cups and saucers painted specifically for this tea time. A harpist plays softly and beautifully in the background. The food is presented on the requisite tiered server and it is outstandingly delicious. ( I especially recommend the curried chicken with the champagne reduction sauce). Each person gets to choose their own tea flavor but the tastiest is caramel pear. Jewel-toned brocade tea cozies cover your teapot, keeping your tea piping hot and you never have to pour your own. The staff members who takes care of you are amazingly attentive but never obtrusive. (If you are especially fortunate, you will be served by Ramon and Justin) They make you feel like a queen (instead of a bumpkin from the midwest). What more could you want? A posh and elegant setting, fabulous food, staff who deliver top notch service and a relaxing afternoon spent visiting with your son over unending cups of delectable tea. Life is good! (A big thank you to Amber Cope of Resnexus who encouraged me to write about tea)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment